Skip To Content


    Beaches of Hilton Head Island


    Moving to Hilton Head & Bluffton

    More Resources

    Important Contact Information

    Beaufort County Assessor’s Office   |   843-255-2400

    Beaufort County Auditor’s Office   |  843-255-2500

    Beaufort County Board of Elections    |  843-255-6900

    Beaufort County Treasurer’s Office 843-255-2600

    Department of Motor Vehicles 15 Sheridan Park, Bluffton 28 Munch Drive, Beaufort  803-896-5000

    SC Department of Natural Resources 803-734-3857

    Beaufort County Public Schools – Click HERE

    Getting a Driver’s License

    You must apply for a driver’s license within 90 days of your move. Bring to your nearest SCDMV office:

    • Two mail items proving your current SC This could be a utility bill in your name or school enrollment letter.
    • Birth certificate or current passport
    • Social Security Card
    • Proof of Insurance

    Registering to Vote

    Register to vote with the Beaufort County Board of Elections in-person, by mail, or online, with the following:

    • SC Driver’s License or ID card
    • Social Security Card

    Registering a Motor Vehicle, Motorcycle or Recreational Vehicle

    Upon moving, you have 45 days to register.

    First, visit the Beaufort County Auditor’s Office to have a tax bill created with the following:

    • Bill of Sale or Title (If purchased from an individual, title must be signed by both parties)
    • Driver’s License
    • Most recent vehicle registration

    Bring your newly printed tax bill to the Beaufort County Treasurer’s Office to pay. Last, go to any SCDMV field office with:

    • Your tax receipt from the Treasurer’s office
    • Driver’s License
    • Proof of Insurance
    • Bill of Sale or Title (If purchased from an individual, title must be signed by both parties)
    • Most recent vehicle registration
    • If you are 64 years of age or older, ask at SCDMV about a registration fee

    Real Property

    This is land, buildings and mobile homes.

    Legal Residence

    If your Beaufort County property will be your legal residence you may qualify for a Legal Residence Exemption. The application is available online or by visiting the Assessor’s Office. Submit the form as soon as possible; you do not need to wait until you get a tax bill.

    The following documents are required for each owner:

    • SC Driver’s License or ID Card
    • SC Vehicle Registration
    • Most recently filed SC Individual Income

    Tax Return

    • SC Voter Registration Card
    • Military ID (Military personnel only)

    If you  do not  have  all  of the  above,  contact the Assessor’s Office to identify acceptable alternatives.